It's been 5 years since I buy my last desktop computer. It is time to buy another one with the latest technology inside. But something that bother me is, my computer is still as fast as brand new computer, even if I compare it with the computer that I used in my office.
My desktop computer specification:
- Abit NF7-S Socket A
- AMD Athlon 2400+ (1.8Ghz)
- NVidia GForce2 MX-400 256MB
- DDRAM 512MB PC-2700
- HardDisc Maxtor 40GB ATA-133
My office desktop computer specification:
- Wearness PC
- Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.0GHz
- Graphic adapter onboard
- DDRAM 256MB
- HardDisc Seagate 80GB ATA-100
As you can see, compared to this two different specification, my desktop still win. Why I can say that, if I only had an old machine.
My analysis is:
1. Graphic adapter. Mine is faster, because it separated from the motherboard, so it will not suffer the whole system.
2. Memory (DDRAM). Mine is doubled, so it will hold data larger.
3. HardDisc. Mine is using faster I/O interface, so it will reduce bottle neck in data communication.
If I check the system when on full load, Intel dual core produce more heat than AMD Athlon. Mine is 55 degree and Intel is 67 degree. So when it reach 70 degree Celcius, it will try to slow down the whole system. This is bad! Intel easyly reach 70 degree Celcius, while AMD maximum only 58 degree. And also the cooling system. The fan only rotate about 2100 RPM in Intel, compared to mine is about 4100 RPM. How can that they slowing down the fan speed when the system produce more heat tolerance than other? I put my computer in my room that temperature about 32 degree Celcius without air conditioning, while my office had an air conditioning. If my office PC is put in my room, I don't know what will happen to it; may be the heat will damaging the processor.
The conclution is, even the processor are using the fastest one without support from the other peripheral, it useless!
Back to the topic, I want to buy a brand new PC right now. Why? Last time I said my old 5 year PC is faster than the brand new PC; the answer is, I can not play a brand new game with it, even my office PC.
So, here it is my dream machine specification:
- AMD Athlon™ 64 FX (Dual-Core)
- Radeon® X1650 Pro 512MB PCI Express®
- Memory 2GB minimum
- HardDisc 250GB minimum