OK, I don't want to give any conclution yet. So, let's go on to the test comparison. Mobil Delvac 1 is Singapore packaging nor the US. Pertamina Fastron is Indonesian product.
|Mobil Delvac 1||Pertamina Fastron|
|Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)||14.7||14.13|
|Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)||98||99.99|
|Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)||156||144|
|Flash Point °C (ASTM D-92)||249||230|
|Pour Point °C (ASTM D-97)||-48||-27|
|Total Base Number, mg KOH/g (ASTM D-2896)||10.1||6.43|
Based on the technical data, lets try compare the oil one by one.
- Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) Delvac 1 value is 14.7 and Fastron is 14.13, that mean at 100°C Delvac 1 is thicker than Fastron.
- Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) Delvac 1 value is 98 and Fastron is 99.99, that mean at 40°C Fastron is thicker than Delvac 1.
- Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) Delvac 1 values is 156 and fastron is 144, that mean Delvac 1 more strengthen than Fastron to maintain it's viscosity over a wide temperature range.
- Flash Point °C (ASTM D-92) Delvac 1 value is 249 and Fastron is 230, that mean Delvac 1 is starting to vaporizes to create enough gas that become momentary flammable is higher than Fastron.
- Pour Point °C (ASTM D-97) Delvac 1 value is -48 and Fastron is -27, that mean Delvac 1 is still can flow lower than Fastron.
- Total Base Number, mg KOH/g (ASTM D-2896) Delvac 1 value is 10.1 and Fastron is 6.43, that mean Delvac 1 has the ability to neutralize acid far more better than Fastron.
Time to test these two. The method that I use is:
- Drain the oil from my scooter until the last drop
- Check whether there is still some oil in the crankshaft or not
- Fill the brand new oil into the engine about 850mL
- Change the air filter with the new one
- Start the engine and make sure the engine is hot enough and the idle RPM is flat
- Test the oil on regular road condition until 2000km usage at maximum speed 70kmh
Mobil Delvac 1:
- Torque This is make my scooter torque heavier. I had to prepare more time to accelerate before passing a bus.
- Engine noise Quiet enough, don't know for sure how much dB is it. 'Cause I don't test it with a proper tool.
- Torque after 2000km Fell is just as same as the first time I fill the oil into the engine.
- Engine noise after 2000km Much the same as the first one.
- Oil color after 2000km Very deep dark brown color
- Torque Better than Delvac 1
- Engine noise Similar to Delvac 1
- Torque after 2000km The torque after 2000km is increased, I think that because the oil is starting to degrade to become 30W.
- Engine noise after 2000km A little noisy on the cylinder head, I can hear the rocker arm sound pressing the valve stem.
- Oil color after 2000km Deep dark brown color
My country is tropical country that the temperature range about 28-32°C at noon.
My conclution is:
- Fastron was better on the torque. That make sense, because the cSt of Delvac 1 @ 100°C is thicker than Fastron.
- Delvac 1 can be use longer than Fastron, indicated by the sound of the valve stem. This is make sense too, because Delvac 1 has higher VI and TBN than Fastron.
- Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
- Pertamina Fastron 10W-40